When someone tells me they are a vegetarian I just assume they've never tried bacon. Because what person would try bacon and all of it's yummy, greasiness and think nahh I can get through life without ever having that again. No one that's who. (kidding, kinda). But seriously, there's no way I'd want to be vegetarian after trying it. ;)
Another heavenly food that I just can't resist--since the list is so short right ;)--is fried rice. And now I've found a recipe that you can make at home and it tastes just as amazing as from the restaurant! My waistline may be in trouble, as yoga pants are slowly being traded out for cut-off shorts and bikinis.
Bacon Fried Rice
1 1/2 C long grain white rice
3/4 C low-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp. light brown sugar
1 tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
1 tbsp. canola oil
10 baby carrots (approx.) OR 2 carrots (cut into matchstick sized strips)
1 C peas
1/2 C water chestnuts, chopped roughly
4 large eggs, beaten
6 slices of bacon, thick cut
extra eggs for a fried egg on top -- optional
**I made a couple changes, and omitted several ingredients that your family may like but mine doesn't. To see the other ingredients go here.
-Cook the rice according to the package directions.
-In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, and ginger.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the peas, water chestnuts and 3 tablespoons of soy sauce mixture. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are slightly tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Return the skillet to medium heat. Cook bacon until almost crisp. Remove bacon from skillet and chop roughly. Set aside. Dump out all (or the majority) of the grease from the bacon.
- Add the cooked rice and the remaining soy sauce mixture. Cook until just heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Push the rice toward the edges of the skillet. Pour the eggs into the center and cook, scrambling with a spatula, until set. Stir the eggs into the rice. Stir in bacon. Serve with the vegetables.
- Optional: Fry an egg to top off your rice.
Y'all it's so good. And this recipe made more than enough for a family of FIVE. Enjoy!!
Do you love bacon? Could you live without bacon? Do you love Chinese takeout? What's your favorite place to get fried rice? Happy Tuesday my bacon-loving munchkins :)